What is an AGM?
An Annual General Meeting (AGM), is an all-members (members who have participated at the DSDS’s lessons during the summer, fall and winter classes or members who have a stamped DalSwing Card) annual meeting, free of charge, filled with fun entertainment – this year including a baking competition and live music with Shirley Jackson & Her Good Rockin’ Daddies, a couple hours of social dancing and the nomination and election of the societies executive members.
*Please read below for more information about location, entertainment and plan of the evening.
**If you do not have a stamp card or do not think you qualify as a member this year, please contact
When: April 9th, 2016
6:30 – 10:00pm
Where: First Baptist Church, 1300 Oxford street
Live Band and Music:
This year we are excited to welcome Shirley Jackson & Her Good Rockin’ Daddies preforming some upbeat tunes around 8 to 10pm (depending on the length of elections). In between the band’s music sets and elections, we will also have some music played by our local DJs from DSDS.
Yes, the AGM will hold a baking competition!
DSDS will invite 15 members to make a treat of their choosing and bring it with them at the event. There will be display tables set up for the competitors work until later in the evening leaving a chance for members to give a vote for their favorite treat.
We ask people who are interested in participating for the competition to email firstname.lastname@example.org with a small type up of what they have in mind and to arrive at the church hall on April 9th 15-20 minutes early for setting up their displays. We also ask to have all competitors to write a list of ingredients on their display cards as some members may have food allergies.
Hurry to be on the coveted list of Designers of Delectable and Decadent Desserts!
*The baked goods will be eaten later in the evening shortly before the elections.
**If you do have severe food allergies, please email email@example.com with more details.
A little bit about the DSDS executive:
The DSDS executive is a group of people who are hard-working and capable, with a love for swing dancing and swing music, and who dedicate themselves to the constitution and betterment of Dalhousie Swing Dance Society.
The Executive is made of different positions such as: President, Vice-president, Secretary, Treasurer, Digital Content Manager, Event Coordinator, Member at large and Community Member.
*For more information about the roles (and/or more) please review our constitution below
How to be nominated for the election at the AGM:
For those who are interested in serving as an executive member:
1- Complete the full read of the constitution and select a position you feel are qualified to do.
2- Email firstname.lastname@example.org a brief paragraph of the position you picked and why you picked it.
3- Receive nomination from Dalswing if two of the members of the current executive agree that you have the skills to run for the position and get seconded.
4- Join us at the AGM with a speech prepared and some excitement!
* If you are looking to nominate someone yourself that you think has the right set of skills, simply email email@example.com with their full name, a description of why they would be a good candidate and the position in which you think they would have interest in. The current executive will then email them with a nomination to which the nominee can either accept or decline.
* All nominees need to be seconded before April 1st
The Election process at the AGM:
Those who are nominated and have accepted the nomination will introduce themselves and present a small speech to the membership present. Dalhousie and King’s students present will vote for whom they want by secret ballot.
Please note that current executive members can seek re-election.
All positions are volunteer led and require a high level of enthusiasm and commitment!
* The president must have served recently as an executive to be elected
* DSDS require Dalhousie and King’s students to hold at least three positions in the executive (they can be for any of the elected roles)
* The executive will take notes and ask a few questions before the elections about their performance to you during the last year running (May 2015 – April 2016)
**If you are nominated to give a short speech and run for the elections, we ask you to be at the AGM at 7PM or earlier
If you are elected, you’re also in for a treat!
You will receive the following:
- Free yearly membership - $10 value
- Free lessons of one year – approx. $75 for students/ $105 for community (Summer, Fall and Winter Lessons)
- Free Swing Factories admittance and free social dances
*With the exception of all workshop weekends and Swing the Fishes which will not be free of charge